From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Former name retained.
Sch: cpl. 11
The first Dana was a Coast Survey schooner taken over for the Navy by Commander James H. Ward of the Potomac Flotilla on 10 June 1861. Under the command of Acting Master's Mate R. B. Ely, she was used as a guard and convoy ship and a coal depot in the Potomac River until July 1862 when she was sent to Philadelphia for disposal.