From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Merchant name retained.
Sch: t. 693 l. 204' b. 38'2" dr. 15'6"
Charles Whittemore (No. 3232), a schooner, was built in 1905 at Mystic, Conn.; purchased by the Navy in 1918; outfitted at New London, Conn., as an antisubmarine decoy; and commissioned 9 August 1918, Lieutenant J. Lyons, USNRF, in command.
The schooner cleared New London 15 August 1918 towing submarine N-5 (SS-57) bound for the North Atlantic shipping lanes where it was hoped German submarines would be attracted to this tempting target. Since no contact was made with the enemy, and N-5 breaking loose during a gale, Charles Whittemore shaped course for her base, returning to New London 9 September.
Continuing her service with the Submarine
Force, Atlantic Fleet, the schooner carried submarine stores, spare
parts, and other cargo between New York, Newport, New London,
Bermuda, and Charleston, S. C., until 14 May 1919 when she returned
to New York from Hampton Roads to be sold. She was decommissioned and
transferred to her new owner 20 May 1919.
Transcribed by: email@example.com
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 14 Feb 1999