From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Merchant name retained.
Ship: t. 363 l. 110' b. 27'4"
dr. 18' cpl. 23 a. 1 x 32-pdr. sb.
Charles Phelps was built in 1848 at New London, Conn., as a whaler; purchased at New Bedford, Mass., 24 June 1861; and commissioned later in the year, Acting Master W. F. North in command.
Assigned as a coal supply ship for the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Charles Phelps served in Hampton Roads, Va., throughout the Civil War. Her support of the Squadron's steamers was as critical a contribution to their mission of cutting the Confederacy off from overseas supply as a modern-day oiler's logistic support is to the operations of the fleet. She was sold at New York 25 October 1865.
Transcribed by: firstname.lastname@example.org
HTML conversion by: EPM
Date: 14 Feb 1999