From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV p 75
A guide, chief, commander ; the head of a group.
The first Leader (PYc--42), ex-Curlew, was built by White & Co. Ltd., Southampton, England, in 1927 ; acquired l)y the Navy from F. S. Molson, Montreal, 24 October 1942 ; and commissioned the same (lay, Lt. (jg) Clifton R. Anderson in command.
Following 3 months in New York Leader sailed 18 February 1943 for her permanent assignment. She trained off Florida and Cuba before arriving San Diego 8 April. For the next 2 years the patrol yacht operated along the west coast and with the San Diego Sound School, training Navy and Coast Guard personnel in antisubmarine warfare techniques. Leader continued this service until she decommissioned 11 May 1945. She was returned to WSA 4 September 1946, sold in 1949 to Kenneth E. Wilson of Los Angeles, and renamed Chito.