From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II p 39
Original name retained.
Carolita (PYC-38) was built in 1923 as Ripple by Germania Werft, Kiel, Germany; purchased by the Navy 1 April 1942 from Herman G. Buckley, Chicago, Ill.; and commissioned 6 November 1942, Lieutenant(junior grade) A. W. Anderson, USNR, in command.
Arriving at Boston 16 December 1942, Carolita operated there until 3 August 1943 when she departed for Key West via Norfolk and repairs at Miami. She served with the Sound School from 8 September 1943, helping to train men in the techniques of antisubmarine warfare. She was decommissioned 28 February 1944 and used as a target.