From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV p 68
A sudden swinging blow ; a stroke.
Lash (PYc--31), ex-Sylph, was built in 1914 by Jacobs Shipyard, City Island, N.Y. ; acquired by the Navy 23 March 1942 ; and commissioned at New York 5 June 1942, Lt. H. H. Shufeldt, USNR, in command.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Lash patrolled the coast off New York until 16 October when she sailed for the Gulf of Mexico. Arriving Algiers, La., 5 November 1942, the patrol ship operated in the 8th Naval District for almost 2 years as a training craft for the Armed Guard Training Center, Gulfport, Miss. Lash decommissioned at Gulfport 6 September 1944, and was returned to her owner 18 May 1945.