From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.VII p 434
(PYc--30: dp. 120 (lt.) ; 1. 117'7"; b. 25'2"; dr. 10'0"; cpl. 14; s. 12.0 k.; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.)
Vagrant -- a steel-hulled, single-screw yacht--was laid down on 9 January 1941 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; launched on 24 May 1941; and was delivered to her purchaser, Harold S. Vanderbilt, on 13 September 1941. The Navy acquired Vagrant on 23 March 1942 for use as a district patrol craft. Although initially designated and classified as the unnamed YP--258, the yacht was reclassified a coastal patrol vessel and received the hull number PYc--30 on 2 April 1942; a subsequent order, dated 8 April 1942, authorized the retention of the name Vagrant. Fitted out at City Island, N.Y., by the Robert Jacob, Inc., yard, Vagrant was commissioned on 9 May 1942, Lt. (jg.) George T. Elliman, USNR, in command.
After shakedown out of New London, Conn., and Boston, Mass., Vagrant arrived at Newport, R.I., on 11 August 1942 for special duty under the orders of the Commander, Eastern Sea Frontier. Successively transferred to the 1st and 3d Naval Districts for local operations in a patrol and training capacity, Vagrant was decommissioned and placed "in service" on 29 December 1943. She performed training duties with the 3d Naval District for the duration of the war with Germany.
On 30 May 1945, the Commandant, 3d Naval District, authorized Vagrant to be inactivated, preparatory to her turnover to the War Shipping Administration (WSA). Placed "out of service" and laid up on 6 August, Vagrant was struck from the Navy list on 1 September and transferred to the WSA on 14 December.
After return to her pre-war owner, H. S. Vanderbilt, Vagrant changed hands in about 1949 when she was acquired by Ralph C. Allen of Oyster Bay, N.Y. Subsequently picked up by the Orion Shipping and Trading Co., Vagrant remained on the Lloyds Register of Yachts until 1956 or 1957, when her named disappeared from the lists.