From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 8
Noble in bearing or spirit ; brave ; high-spirited ; chivalrous ; stately in appearance or action.
The first Gallant (PYc--29) was built in 1909 as the yacht North Star by Pusey and Jones Co., Wilmington, Del, ; purchased 17 March 1942 from the North Star Excursion Corp., Brooklyn, N.Y. ; converted to a coastal patrol yacht by Sullivans Drydock Co., Brooklyn ; and commissioned as Gallant in the conversion yard 15 April 1942, Lt. (j.g.) D. R. Stoneleigh in command.
After temporary inshore patrol duties for the 3rd Naval District at New York, Gallant changed her home port to Boston, Mass., 20 July 1942, and finished out her Navy career as a training and local defense patrol ship of the 1st Naval District Gallant made daily patrols outside Boston Harbor and along the New England coast, with time out for upkeep and repairs, until decommissioned at Boston 22 January 1945. She was transferred to WSA for disposal and sold to her former owner 28 June 1945.