From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V p 409
A variety of garnet, deep red in color.
Pyrope (ex-Oceania) was built by Germania Werft., Kiel, Germany in 1923 ; purchased from Fred Perry, 15 December 1941; renamed Pyrope (PYc--17), 27 December 1941 ; converted by the Martinolich Shipbuilding Co.; and commissioned 11 March 1942, Lt. (j.g.) John A. Gorham in command.
Assigned to the Hawaiian Sea Frontier, Pyrope departed San Diego 21 April 1942 and arrived at Pearl Harbor 1 May. For the next three years, she patrolled in the Hawaiian Islands and on 1 April 1945 steamed west, to Midway, whence she operated until August. Designated for inactivation on her return to Pearl Harbor, she departed Hawaii for the west coast 28 September. Arriving at San Diego 5 October, she decommissioned 14 December 1945 ; was struck from the Navy List 5 January 1946 ; and was sold to Juan Perlo, Los Angeles, 29 January 1947.