From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II p 226
The ancient name of Cerigo, one of the Ionian Islands
The second Cythera (PY--31) was built in 1931 as Abril by Germania Werft, Kiel, Germany; purchased by the Navy 14 July 1942; and commissioned 26 October 1942, Lieutenant J. Z. Howell, USNR, in command.
Assigned to the Gulf Sea Frontier Cythera conducted exercises for the Small Craft Training Center at Miami and escorted convoys to Galveston, Tex., and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, until 16 March 1943 when she cleared Key West for New York, arriving 21 March. Assigned to the Eastern Sea Frontier she escorted convoys between New York and southern ports until 22 September.
Reassigned to the 3d Naval District Cythera sailed to New London 22 December 1943 for duty with the Underwater Sound Laboratory. On 3 January 1944 she was decommissioned and placed in service. Cythera conducted training exercises for submarines and was engaged in experimental sonar operations out of New London until 18 January 1945 when she sailed for Port Everglades, Fla. She arrived 23 January to serve with the Antisubmarine Development Operational Detachment, Atlantic Fleet, conducting experimental operations with submarines until 24 April.
From 29 April to 12 November 1945 Cythera was at New London for overhaul and training operations with submarines. After a voyage to Key West, she returned to New London 28 November and remained there until arriving at New York 30 January 1946. Cythera was placed out of service 14 March 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 6 November 1946.