From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II p 242
Bold ; fearless ; intrepid.
The second Dauntless (PG--61) was built as Delphine in 1921 by Great Lakes Engine Works, Ecorse, Mich.; acquired by the Navy 21 January 1942; and commissioned 11 May 1942, Commander C. F. Grisham in command.
Dauntless departed Ecorse, Mich., 27 May 1942 and arrived at Washington, D.C., 16 June. She relieved Vixen (PG--53) as flagship for Commander-in-Chief, United States Fleet, and remained at Washington until decommissioned 11 May 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 10 June 1946 for disposal.