From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV p 238
Cities in Ohio and Georgia.
The second Marietta, a schooner rigged gunboat, was laid down by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif., 13 April 1896; launched 18 March 1897 ; sponsored by Mrs. C. L. More, daughter of Brig. Gen. T. C. H. Smith ; and commissioned 1 September 1897, Comdr. F. W. Symonds In command.
Following brief duty on the Pacific station, Marietta departed San Francisco 19 March 1898 for Callao, Peru, to arrange for the coaling of Battleship Oregon (BB--3) which was steaming to join the North Atlantic Squadron off Cuba. Moving on to Valparaiso, Chile, 31 March, the gunboat was joined by Oregon 6 April and together the two warships proceeded through the Straits of Magellan and up the east coast of South America, separating at Bahia, Brazil 11 May. Marietta arrived Key West, Fla., 4 June, then joined the blockade of Havana Harbor.
On 2 September the gunboat arrived at Boston for repairs and then sailed 10 October for her second tour of duty off Cuba. For the next 5 months, the ship patrolled the Caribbean, showed the flag in Latin American ports, and helped clear mines from Cuban waters. On 17 October she sailed from Virginia for the Philippines. Steaming via the Suez Canal, Marietta arrived Manila 3 January 1900. Operating in support of American forces ending the Philippine insurrection, the gunboat acted as a patrol and convoy escort vessel in the Islands, assisting and cooperating with the Army In military expeditions and landings until ordered home 3 June 1901. Again sailing via Suez, Marietta arrived Boston 17 September and then proceeded immediately to Portsmouth, N.H., reporting to the North Atlantic Squadron.
On 21 November, the ship cleared Portsmouth, sailing via New York for another tour of duty in the Caribbean. Arriving Colon, Colombia, on the 23d, she spent the next year and 5 months cruising on this station, protecting American interests in Colombia, Haiti, Jamaica, Venezuela, Trinidad, Curaçao, and Honduras, in addition to carrying mail for American legation officials. She completed her duty 10 April 1903, and sailed for home, returning to Boston 16 days later. Marietta decommissioned at Boston 6 May 1903.
The gunboat recommissioned 11 February 1904, and sailed for Panama 9 March. She operated off Central America, protecting American interests in Panama during that nations revolution against Colombia. On 24 June, the ship arrived at Gibraltar, and reported for duty with the European Squadron. She remained in foreign waters, alternating duty with this and the South Atlantic Squadron until 4 December when she sailed for League Island, Pa., arriving 31 December, and decommissioning 21 January 1905.
Marietta recommissioned 14 May 1906 and departed League Island on the 26th for the West Indies. For the next 5½ years, the ship served in the islands of the Caribbean, calling at numerous Latin American ports and protecting American lives and property from damage.
On 4 November 1911, she reported to Portsmouth, N H to go into reserve. On 27 May 1912 Marietta was turned Over to the New Jersey Naval Militia and 2 days later was placed in full commission at New York Navy Yard. For the next 2 years the gunboat operated in the Caribbean and western Atlantic, enforcing American neutrality. In February 1916, the veteran warship joined American forces off Vera Cruz to assist in operations against Mexican insurgents. She returned to the United States shortly before the start of World War I, and soon after joined the Atlantic Fleet patrol force for convoy duty. Continuing her escort service, she was assigned to the European patrol force in 1918 and operated on this assignment until she decommissioned 12 July 1919 at New Orleans, La. Marietta was sold 25 March 1920.