From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. VI, p 240
A British island colony in the South Atlantic between Brazil and Angola, some 1,200 miles from the coast of Africa. After his defeat at Waterloo in 1815, Napoleon was exiled on St. Helena ; and he died there in 1821. St. Helena retained her former name during her naval service.
Pasley (PF-86), originally projected as PG-194, was designated on 10 June 1943 for transfer to the United Kingdom under Lend Lease. Renamed St. Helena by the British Admiralty, she was laid down on 22 September 1943 by the Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc., Providence, RI., under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1668) ; launched on 20 October 1943 ; sponsored by Mrs. Antonio Castellucci ; and delivered to the Royal Navy on 19 February 1944.
St. Helena (K. 590) served the British Navy through the remainder of World War II as a "Colony" class frigate. She returned to the United States on 8 April 1946 at Norfolk, Va., where she was decommissioned on the 23d and accepted by the U.S. Navy. However, she was considered in excess of the Navy's needs and on 7 June was slated for disposal. St. Helena was struck from the Navy list on 19 June and temporarily placed on the list of vessels on hand, On 1 April 1947, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission which delivered her to the Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., on 1 July. St. Helena was scrapped on 28 October 1947.