From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. V, p 320
An island colony of the United Kingdom located in the South Pacific, equidistant between Tahiti and Easter Islands.
Pilford (PF-85), originally designated PG-193, was built under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1667) by Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc., Providence, Ill. Intended for use by the United Kingdom, she was renamed Pitcairn and launched 15 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Harry H. Dugan. Completed and delivered to the US Navy 6 July 1944. Transferred to the Royal Navy 7 July as HMS Pitcairn (K-559), she served throughout the remainder of World War II with her 12 sister frigates of the "Colony" class as a patrol and escort vessel. She was returned to the US Navy, at Boston, 11 June 1946. Struck from the Navy List, 3 July 1946, she was sold to John J. Duane Co., Quincy, Mass., 5 November 1947.