From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 382
(PF--84: dp. 1,430; 1. 303'11" ; b. 37'8" ; dr. 13'8" ; s. 20 k. ; cpl. 190; 3 3" ; cl. Tacoma)
Howett (PF--84), originally designated PG-192, was built under Maritime Commission contract by Walsh-Kaiser Co., Inc., Providence, RI. Intended for use by the United Kingdom, she was reclassified PF--84 15 April 1943, renamed Papua, and launched 10 October 1943, sponsored by Mrs. William Eastham. Papua was then completed and transferred under lend-lease to the United Kingdom 25 July 1944 as part of the 21-ship 'Colony class. She served as a patrol and escort vessel until being returned to the United States 13 May 1943. The frigate was subsequently sold to Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping, but was resold to Egypt in 1950 for use as a passenger vessel by the Khedivial Mail Line, Alexandria.