From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III, p 408
A city in central Kansas.
Hutchinson (PF-45), originally designated PG-153, was launched 27 August 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Los Angeles, Calif., under Maritime Commission contract ; sponsored by Mrs. A. T. Cole ; and commissioned 3 February 1944, Comdr. C. H. Stober, USCG commanding.
The frigate engaged in shakedown training until 13 April 1944, and departed San Pedro 30 April for the southwest Pacific. She arrived via Pearl Harbor at one of the most important bodies of water in the Pacific area, Leyte Gulf, 10 November. There Hutchinson took up escort and patrol duties among the many transports supporting the landing. During her stay off Leyte the ship engaged in several battles with attacking Japanese aircraft. Hutchinson sailed for Fremantle, Australia, via New Guinea, 30 November1944.
Assigned to the submarine base, Fremantle, for training duty with submarines, Hutchinson remained in Australia until 27 August 1945. Departing for the United States, she touched at Manus and Pearl before arriving Terminal Island, Calif., 10 January 1946. Here she converted to a weather ship. Following conversion, she proceeded to Seattle and got underway 6 February 1946 for weather station A in the northern Pacific. After performing the demanding and essential task of weather picket for two separate periods, Hutchinson. sailed to San Francisco and decommissioned 15 April 1946. She was then recommissioned a Coast Guard vessel on loan from the Navy, and sailed westward to take up her weather ship duties once more. After two more such cruises, Hutchinson arrived Seattle in early September and decommissioned 23 September 1946.
Hutchinson was stricken from the Navy List 29 October 1946 and was sold to Mexico 24 November 1947. She served the Mexican Navy as California until scrapped in June 1964.
Hutchinson received two battle stars for World War II service.