From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III, p 333
A city in Massachusetts.
Hingham (PF-30), originally designated PG-138, was launched under Maritime Commission contract by Walter Butler Shipbuilders, Inc. 27 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Katherine F. Harrington; and commissioned 3 November 1944 after outfitting at Plaquemine, La. Her first commanding officer was Lt. Comdr. W. K. Earle, USCG.
Following shakedown training out of Bermuda, Hingham finished conversion to a weather ship at Boston and after escorting a merchant ship from Argentia to Boston reported 3 January 1945 to the North Atlantic Weather Patrol. The ship then took up the arduous duties of weather patrol in the North Atlantic during Winter, performing the task of reporting so vital to convoying and warship movements alike. She remained on station after the close of the war, returning to Boston 4 May 1946. Hingham then sailed to Charleston, where she decommissioned 5 June 1946. The frigate was sold 15 August 1947 to Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Pa., and scrapped.