From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III, p 134
A city in Nebraska.
(PF-14: dp. 1,430; 1. 304'; b. 38'; dr. 12'; s. 20 k.; a.3 3'', 2 40mm.; cl. Tacoma)
Grand Island, a patrol frigate, was originally PG-122 and launched by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., Richmond, Calif., 19 February 1944 ; as PF-14 ; sponsored by Mrs. William Shackleton ; and commissioned 27 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. H.L. Morgan in command.
After completing her shakedown cruise off the coast of southern California, Grand Island reported for duty with the 12th Naval District 12 September 1944. She subsequently performed weather station and plane guard duty out of San Francisco and participated in several training exercises with patrol forces on the West Coast. She also was engaged from time to time in antisubmarine escort duty. Grand Island departed San Francisco 26 March 1946, arrived Charleston, S.C., 13 April 1946 via the Canal Zone, and was turned over to the 6th Naval District for disposal. She decommissioned 21 May 1946 and was stricken from the Navy Register 19 June. Declared not essential to the defense of the United States, the frigate was turned over to the State Department Foreign Liquidation Corporation and finally transferred to Cuba 16 June 1947, where she serves as Maximo Gomez.