From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 229
The first Hampton retained its former name, while the second was named after a county in South Carolina.
PCS--1386 was laid down by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, N.Y., 15 May 1943 ; launched 28 September 1944 ; and commissioned 4 November, Lt. Thomas R. McMahan in command.
Equipped with the latest sonar gear, PCS--1386 was assigned to the Fleet Sound School Squadron following her shakedown period. From her arrival at Key West 25 November 1944, until the end of the war she trained officers and enlisted men in the intricate art of submarine detection. The students later contributed to the war effort by operating the range recorder and attack plotter on the hunter-killer destroyers and destroyer escorts. Through the Navy's excellent ASW methods the enemy submarine threat was neutralized and the victorious conclusion of World War II was hastened.
After the war PCS--1386 continued training operations based at Key West and in addition performed exercises in the Atlantic, Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico from 1946 to 1956. PCS--1386 was named Hampton 15 February 1956 and decommissioned 27 April 1956. Hampton was transferred to the 5th Naval District and assigned to the Naval Reserve Training Center, Baltimore. Hampton operated as a training ship until she was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1959 and disposed of by Navy sale.