From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 349
A borough in south-central Pennsylvania.
PCS--1385 was laid down by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Whitestone, Long Island, N.Y., 8 May 1943 ; Launched 26 August 1944 ; sponsored by Mrs. Beatrice Leonard ; and commissioned 5 October 1944 at New York. Lt. Wilson W. Tarleton in command.
After shakedown out of New York, PCS--1385 departed New York 23 October for duty at Key West, Fla. Arriving 30 October, she was assigned to the Fleet Sonar School. She operated off the coast of Florida, training officers and men in the use of ASW equipment and in the tactics of detecting and destroying submarines. The submarine chaser remained off Florida for the rest of World War II ; then on 1 October she sailed for duty in Miami. During the next 6 weeks she trained Chinese officers prior to their command of transferred patrol ships.
Departing Miami 8 November, PCS--l385 sailed to Norfolk, and upon arrival 12 November she was designated photographic ship for the Atlantic Fleet Camera Party. She continued operations along the East Coast until she decommissioned 6 April 1956. PCS--1385 was named Hollidaysburg 15 February 1956. Following assignment to Naval Reserve Training, she began important training duties in the 4th Naval District out of Cleveland and Toledo, which have continued through 1967.