From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV p 283
A city in Massachusetts.
PC--780 was laid down 27 October 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Greg. ; launched 10 December 1942 ; sponsored by Mrs. Oscar Bowden ; and commissioned 10 June 1943, Lt. Walter H. Koehn, Jr., in command.
Alter shakedown out of San Pedro, Calif., beginning 23 July 1943, she performed coastal patrol and escort duty out of San Francisco at the direction of Commander, Western Sea Frontier. In December PC--780 departed for duty in Alaskan waters. After calling at Prince Rupert, British Columbia, she reported for duty at Adak 11 February 1944. For 5 months she sailed the cold Aleutian waters guarding against enemy submarines. An extensive overhaul awaited when she returned to Puget Sound 11 November.
Clearing the mainland 14 March 1944, PC--780 operated with the Hawaiian Sea Forces until the end of hostilities. From 17 September to 1 November she proceeded leisurely to Key West, Fin., where she decommissioned 12 June 1948. The following month brought orders to serve in the Naval Reserve training program at Charleston, In November 1949, shortly after transfer to Boston, PC--780 was returned to reserve. She was named Maynard 15 February 1956. The ship was sold to Hughes Bros., Inc., New York, N.Y., 10 September 1959 and towed away for scrapping on 9 October.