From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.I, Part A - p 296
Cities in South Carolina and Texas.
PC--606 was laid down on 14 April 1942 at Stamford, Conn., by the Luders Marine Construction Co.; launched on 8 January 1943; and placed in commission at New York City on 7 August 1943.
After brief shakedown training in the waters off Miami, Fla., PC--606 sailed for Havana, Cuba, where she arrived on 11 September and reported to Commander, Eastern Sea Frontier. The ship then conducted antisubmarine warfare (ASW) exercises and patrols in Cuban waters. She left Cuba, bound for Miami, where she joined a northbound convoy on 27 September. The vessel sailed into New York harbor on 3 October. She was then assigned antisubmarine patrol and escort duties. In this capacity, PC--606 made several voyages escorting convoys from New York City to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
In December, the ship was ordered to the Pacific. She transited the Panama Canal and proceeded--via Bora Bora, Society Islands--to Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides. PC--606 reached that port on 31 January 1944 and assumed ASW and escort duties with ships of the Pacific Fleet. Among her areas of operation were the Solomon Islands, Tarawa, Eniwetok, Guam, Saipan, and Iwo Jima. She continued her escort and patrol duties through the duration of World War II. The ship left Guam on 14 March 1946 and proceeded via Pearl Harbor back to the United States.
PC--606 reached San Pedro, Calif., in mid-May but left the west coast on 21 October bound, via the Panama Canal, for Charleston, S.C. Upon her arrival there on 21 November, the vessel was assigned to the 16th Fleet and, shortly thereafter, began preparations for deactivation. She was placed out of commission on 24 March 1947 and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla. While still in reserve, the ship was named Andrews (PC--606) on 15 February 1956. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 5 September 1957, and she was subsequently sold to the Boston Metals Co. for scrapping.