From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. IV p 86
A county and town in North Carolina.
Lenoir (PC--582) was laid down as PC--582 by Albina Engine & Machinery Works, Inc., Portland, Oreg., 21 February 1942; launched 15 July 1942 ; sponsored by Mrs. Andrew Anderson ; and commissioned 22 October 1942, Lt. Howard C. Duff in command.
Concluding shakedown and training in Puget Sound late in December, PC--582 patrolled off southern California out of San Diego for 7 months, then based at Adak for Aleutian service until 1 December. After escort and patrol duty in the Hawaiians, she sailed for action 25 May 1944, escorting landing craft with reinforcements to Saipan 19 lime, 4 days after the initial assault. After escorting additional reinforcement and resupply convoys from the Marshalls, PC--582 patrolled the Marianas from Saipan from July through October, then served in the Carolines out of Ulithi. In November and in January 1945, she escorted convoys from Ulithi to Hollandia, and 9 February sailed for 2 months of repairs at San Francisco.
After brief patrol duty in the Hawaiians, she escorted a convoy to Saipan and Leyte, and reached Okinawa in August. She was redesignated PCC--582, Control Submarine Chaser (173'), on 29 August. On 4 September she sailed for Jinsen, Korea, and duty along the coast of China until sailing for San Diego 21 November. Early in January 1946 she sailed for the Panama Canal and New York, arriving 24 January.
During the remainder of the 1940s she engaged in coastal operations from Newport, R.I., sailing every other year to Charleston, S.C., for drydock services and additional operational opportunities. She decommissioned and was placed in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 1 February 1950.
PCC--582 recommissioned 3 October 1952, Lt. Francis C. Kearney, Jr., in command. On 7 November she arrived Norfolk for duty in the 5th Naval District, On 3 August 1954 she steamed into Charleston to begin her second inactivation processing. Decommissioned 15 January 1955 and placed in reserve, on 27 October she was redesignated a PC, and on 1 February 1956 she was named Lenoir (PC--582). She was struck from the Navy list 1 July 1960.
PCC--582 received two battle stars for World War II service.