From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.VI p 115
A town at the east end of Long Island, N.Y.
Riverhead (PC--567) was laid down as PC--567 on 15 September 1941 by the Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex.; launched 11 April 1942; sponsored by Miss Nancy Nelson Brown; and commissioned 27 June 1942, Lt. J. E. Allen in command.
Following shakedown off Miami, PC--567 escorted merchant and Navy ships between Key West and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, until December 1942. She then performed similar convoy work between Guantanamo Bay and Trinidad until she shifted to the New York-Guantanamo Bay escort run in March 1943. During this period she made several attacks on sonar contacts thought to be enemy submarines.
In March 1944, PC--567 steamed for England in company with a convoy and other escorts, arriving at Plymouth on 15 April. From that date until June, she prepared for the Normandy invasion. In that historic operation, PC--567 served as an amphibious control vessel. Shortly before H-hour on 6 June, she steamed to a position approximately one-half mile off Omaha Beach to direct amphibious units to the beachhead for the initial landings. Air raids followed the U-day operations for 32 consecutive nights.
From August to November, PC--567 was assigned to Cherbourg, France, where she patrolled and escorted convoys. After repairs in Le Havre, she performed antisubmarine patrols and reported incoming and departing convoys to the port director, On 6 June 1945 she steamed for Miami. Then, after operations from Miami, Key West, Mayport, and Norfolk, she reported for inactivation at Green Cove Springs Fla., on 26 April 1946. She decommissioned 12 July 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Named Riverhead on 15 February 1956, the ship remained in reserve at Green Cove Springs until loaned to the Air Force in April 1960. She was struck from the Navy list on 15 March 1963 prior to permanent transfer to the U.S. Air Force.
PC--567 earned one battle star for World War II service.