From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.I, Part A - p 272
A city in Skagit County in northwestern Washington located on an island in Puget Sound.
PC--1569 was laid down on 26 September 1944 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 9 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Nelle Hines; and commissioned at New Orleans, La., on 14 March 1945, Lt. (jg.)John G. Davidson, USNR, in command.
The submarine chaser put to sea on 29 March for post-commissioning tests and for shakedown training out of Miami, Fla. After some repairs at Miami, she put to sea again on 8 May bound for Key West, Fla., and several days of antisubmarine warfare (ASW) training. PC--1569 completed that mission on 12 May and set a course for the Panama Canal. She arrived at Coco Solo on 16 May and, two days later, transited the canal. The small warship left Balboa three days later; stopped at Sari Diego, Calif., from 27 to 30 May; and then headed for the Hawaiian Islands. She reached Pearl Harbor on 6 June and remained there until the 30th when she sailed, via Eniwetok, for the island of Guam. PC--1569 arrived in Apra Harbor on 15 July and, soon thereafter, began patrolling the Mariana Islands.
That duty lasted through the end of the war in September. On 15 September, the warship departed Guam on her way to the Caroline Islands. She reached Woleai Atoll on 17 September and began superintending the evacuation of Japanese troops and the occupation of the base by American forces. She completed that duty on the 20th, headed back toward Guam, and arrived at Apra Harbor the following day. The subchaser operated out of that port until 10 October when she shaped a course for Okinawa. She stayed at Buckner Bay from 14 to 17 October and then continued on to the coast of China. She remained at Tsingtao only three days, 20 to 22 October, and then shaped a course for the Philippines. She made a two-day stop at Guinan on the island of Samar before heading back toward Guam on 29 October. PC--1569 arrived in Apra Harbor on 1 November.
For the next six months, the ship continued to visit various ports in the Central Pacific. On 20 November, she departed Guam to escort a convoy of LCTs to sea for a rendezvous with Forster(DE--334). Returning to Apra Harbor on the 26th, PC--1569 remained there until 1 December when she got underway for Marcus Island which she visited from 4 to 18 December. The submarine chaser returned to Guam on the 21st, but put to sea on 10 January 1946 with a Ulithi-bound Coast Guard unit embarked. She delivered her passengers to Ulithi on the 12th and returned to Apra Harbor on the 14th. The subchaser remained in the Marianas for almost two months. She got underway for Iwo Jima on 6 March and stopped over there from 9 to 13 March. The warship made two round-trip voyages carrying cargo and passengers from Iwo Jima to Chichi Jima between 13 and 26 March. On 1 April, she departed the Bonin Islands to return to Guam. PC--1569 arrived in Apra Harbor on 4 April and remained there until the 20th.
On the latter day, she began the long voyage back to the United States. After stops at Eniwetok Atoll and at Pearl Harbor, she arrived in Astoria, Oreg., on 26 May. She shifted to Portland, Oreg., on the 28th and, on 15 June, began an inactivation overhaul at the Northwest Marine & Iron Works. On 23 July, the submarine chaser was towed back to Astoria where she was placed out of commission on 9 August 1946. The ship remained berthed with the Astoria Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, for the next 14 years. On 15 February 1956, she was named Anacortes. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1960, and she was transferred to the Republic of Vietnam on 23 November1960.