From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.V p 354
Boatbuilding and fishing center in Ottawa Co., Northern Ohio, on Lake Erie.
Port Clinton (PC--1242), a steel-hulled submarine chaser, was laid down 22 September 1942 by Nashville Bridge Co., Nashville, Tenn. as PC--1242; launched 25 January 1943 ; completed 27 January 1943 ; delivered to the Navy at New Orleans, La. 5 July 1943; and commissioned there 12 July 1943.
Departing New Orleans 27 July, PC-1242 underwent shakedown out of Key West, Fla, 30 July through 31 August. Throughout the fall and into December she provided convoy escort, patrol, and training services between Galveston, Tex. ; Key West, Fla, ; and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
After calling at New Orleans 10--15 December 1943, she departed the 18th, transited the Panama Canal, and arrived Bora Bora, the Societies 26 February 1944. Her Pacific patrol and escort operations took her between Bora Bora ; Tutuila, Samoa ; Funafuti, Ellice Islands ; and Mime Bay, New Guinea.
With the end of hostilities, she assisted in minesweeping in Japanese home waters, calling at and operating out of various Japanese ports through November 1945. After further minesweeping and occupational patrols in Japanese waters, she returned to the west coast and was laid-up with the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet. She decommissioned 1 January 1947 and remained in reserve through the 1950s.
Named Port Clinton 1 February 1956, she was sold to Pacific Diesel Co. and struck from the Navy List 1 December 1959.