From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 162
A city in Iowa.
PC--1230 was laid down by Leathern D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis., 20 December 1942 ; launched 10 March 1943 sponsored by Miss Ann Duffy ; and commissioned 15 July, Lt. Carrol E. Church in command.
Following shakedown PC--1230 performed escort duty between Florida and the West Indies, prior to departing New Orleans 7 December. Enroute to the South Pacific, she transited the Panama Canal, arriving Bora Bora, Society Islands, 13 February 1944. Assigned to convoy escort duty, the submarine chaser ranged the South Pacific for the next 6 months maintaining a constant vigil for enemy submarines.
In early September PC--1230 prepared for the invasion of the Palan Islands, a preliminary step toward the invasion of the Philippines. Departing Tulagi on the 4th she sailed for the Palaus, arriving Pelelieu 15 September. For the next 10 days she assisted the invasion efforts by performing harbor entrance control duties until these tiny islands were in American hands.
While American forces were liberating the Philippines, PC--1230 continued harbor entrance control out of Pelelieu, a strategic staging area. From November 1944 to March 1945 she performed patrol, escort, and other assignments in the Palan and Marshall Islands. Departing Eniwetok 4 March she steamed to Pearl Harbor for conversion to Landing Control Ship.
Following overhaul and amphibious training PC--1230 returned Eniwetok 18 .Tune. For the rest of the war she engaged in training, patrol, and escort duty in the Marshalls, Marianas, and Philippines. After VJ-Day, PC--1230 remained in the Far East for escort duty in the Philippines and harbor control out of Tokyo Bay.
Upon returning to the United States she decommissioned in March 1946, and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet. PC--1230 was named Grinnell 15 February l956. She was sold in April 1960.
PC--1230 received one battle star for World War II service.