From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol.VIII p 231
A town in Washington County, Rhode Island, located on the Pawcatuck River near the Connecticut state line.
PC--1198 was laid down on 3 October 1942 at Morris Heights, N.Y., by the Consolidated Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 12 December 1942 ; sponsored by Miss Dorothy Given ; and placed in commission on 3 May 1943 at the New York Navy Yard, Lt. A. E. Lind in command.
After completing a month of shakedown training out of Miami, Fla., PC--1198 reported for duty with the Caribbean Sea Frontier on 22 June. The submarine chaser was assigned duty escorting convoys between various islands in the West Indies and specialized in shepherding ships laden with petroleum products from Curacao and Aruba on the initial legs of their voyages. She steamed most frequently between those two islands and American bases at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Trinidad where other ships took over escort responsibility.
The end of the war in Europe in May 1945, however, brought a change to her duty. With the U-boat menace gone, the little warship took up air-sea rescue responsibilities and participated in mine removal operations in the West Indies. During these operations, she added Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas to her itinerary. Air-sea rescue duty in the Caribbean continued until June of 1946. At that time, she steamed north to New York where she reported to the Commandant, 3d Naval District, for duty training naval reservists. For the next three years, she plied the coastal waters between New York City and Portland, Maine, calling frequently at Portsmouth, N.H., Bridgeport and New Haven, Conn. ; Provincetown, Mass.; and Portland, Maine. In July 1948, she voyaged farther north to visit the Canadian ports at Halifax and Yarmouth in the province of Nova Scotia. Later that year, she added Boston, Nantucket, and Gloucester, Mass., to her itinerary as well as New London and New Bedford, Mass. In May of 1949, she sailed south and visited Charleston, S.C., and St. Augustine, Fla., before returning to New York in June, On 11 January 1950, PC--1198 entered Boston to begin inactivation. On 15 March 1950, she was placed out of commission, in reserve, and was berthed with the Boston Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. On 15 February 1956, while still in reserve, she was named Westerly. She never performed any active service under her new name before she was struck from the Navy list on 1 April 1959.