From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 637
A city in eastern Wisconsin, 25 miles east of Green Bay.
PC--1178 was laid down by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis., 11 August 1943 ; launched 2 October; sponsored by Miss Elsie Krause; and commissioned at New Orleans 6 January 1944, Lt. (j.g.) Norman E. Jones in command.
After shakedown off Florida, PC-1178 escorted convoys along the East Coast until May 1944. Departing New York on the 26th, she screened a convoy to Guantanamo, then proceeded to the West Coast, arriving San Diego 16 June. Following a brief stay in Pearl Harbor, the subchaser continued her voyage to the Pacific war zone. Arriving Florida Island 24 August, PC--1178 prepared for her initial assignment in a combat area.
Departing Guadalcanal 8 September, she took up patrol station on the approaches to the Palau Islands, needed as a staging base for the Philippine invasion. The conquest of the Palaus began with landings on Pelelin 15 September. PC--1178 continued patrol and escort duty in the vicinity of the Palaus until departing for Eniwetok 15 November. For the next 3 months, she operated on patrol and escort duty between the Marshall and Mariana Islands, then sailed for Pearl Harbor 8 March 1945.
Following a brief overhaul at Pearl Harbor, she returned to Eniwetok 1 June and resumed operations in the western Pacific, remaining there for the duration of World War II. Reclassified PCC--1178 in August, she continued servicing the occupation forces in Okinawa and the Philippines following the cessation of hostilities, With many months of foreign duty behind her, she departed Manicani, P.1., 19 April 1946, and arrived Astoria, Oreg., 6 June. PCC--1178 decommissioned at Astoria 4 September 1946 and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
While berthed in the Columbia River, she was once again reclassified PC--1178 in October 1955, and named Kewaunee 15 February 1956. She remained in the Pacific Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 November 1959. She was sold to the Port of Portland, Portland, Oreg., 30 June 1960.
PC--1178 received one battle star for World War II service.