From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A city in northwestern Oklahoma.
(PC - 1177: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 10'10"; s. 22 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 5 20mm., 2 rkt., 2 dcp., 2 dct.; cl. PC-461)
PC-1177 was laid down 24 July 1943 by Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wis.; launched 18 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Lucy Wagener; and commissioned at New Orleans, La., 20 December 1943, Lt. Edwin H. Kiefer in command.
After shakedown out of Miami, Fla., PC-1177 departed Key West for New York 8 February 1944. Arriving 14 February, she sailed 2 days later to screen a troop and supply convoy from New York to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Arriving Guantanamo Bay 4 March, she returned to New York as convoy escort from 8 to 16 March. Between 22 March and 10 May she completed two more escort runs to Cuba and back.
Department [sic; departing] New York 26 May, she escorted a convoy to Cuba, then sailed 3 June for the Pacific. Steaming via the West Coast and Pearl Harbor, she reached Purvis Bay, Florida Island, 24 August. After completing amphibious practice in the Solomon Islands, she departed Guadalcanal 8 September for the assault on the Palaus. She arrived off Anguar [sic; Angaur] Island 17 September and served as patrol and shore bombardment ship during the next 5 days. From 21 to 23 September she escorted a convoy to Ulithi; returned to Anguar [sic; Angaur] 27 September; then steamed to the Admiralties, arriving Manus 5 October. She sailed in convoy for the Palaus the 10th; and, after arriving Kossol 15 October, she patrolled coastal waters in the southern Palaus, primarily off Anguar [sic; Angaur], for more than a month. From 20 to 22 November she sailed to Ulithi, where she continued patrol runs until 20 December. After completing an escort run to the Palaus and back, she departed 26 December for Pearl Harbor and arrived 11 January 1945.
PC-1177 departed Pearl 17 February, touched Eniwetok, and reached Saipan 4 March to prepare for the mighty invasion of Okinawa. She departed the Marianas 25 March as part of the convoy screen and closed Hagushi Beach, Okinawa, 1 April. During and after the amphibious landings she served as part of the antiaircraft screen for transports and support ships. She operated off Okinawa until 17 April when she sailed as a convoy screen to Ulithi. Arriving 22 April, she departed in convoy for the Philippines 4 May and reached Leyte Gulf the 7th. Three days later she departed to escort a troop and supply convoy to Okinawa; and, after arriving 15 May, she resumed antiaircraft screening patrols.
Throughout the remainder of the Okinawa campaign, PC-1177 remained on station, carrying out her assigned patrol and escort duties. After the defeat of Japan, she was reclassified PCC-1177 on 20 August and returned to the West Coast from the Western Pacific late in 1945. She decommissioned at Astoria, Oreg., 27 July 1946 and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet. While berthed in the Columbia River Group, she was again reclassified PC-1177 on 27 October 1955 and was named Guymon 15 February 1956. She was sold by the Navy to Zidell Exploration, Inc., 25 April 1961.
PC-1177 received two battle stars for World War II service.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)