From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III p 109
Cities in Mills County, southwest Iowa, and in Pope County, west-central Minnesota.
PC--1140 was laid down by Defoe Shipbuilding Corp., Bay City, Mich., 8 February 1943 ; launched 14 June ; and commissioned 22 January 1944, Lt. F. H. Beardaley, Jr., in command.
After shakedown at Miami, PC--1140 escorted convoy runs in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean until early June. Following an overhaul at Norfolk she sailed 4 July for the Mediterranean, arriving Bizerte on the 28th. Assigned to patrol duties, she operated along the coast of Italy until 14 August when she departed Ajaccio, Corsica, to escort a convoy en route to the invasion of Southern France. PC--1140 patrolled in the assault area on the 15th, with subsequent runs convoying rear echelon and service troops to the newly opened front. The submarine-chaser returned to Naples 17 August.
For the rest of the war she operated on patrol and escort duty off the Italian and French coasts. After VE-- Day, PC--1140 sailed for the United States, arriving Key West 14 June. She was scheduled for Pacific operations ; however, the war came to a victorious conclusion before deployment to the Far East. Following training exercises off Florida, the submarine chaser arrived Norfolk 6 November. PC--1140 decommissioned in January 1947 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. While berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla,, she was named Glenwood (PC- 1140) 15 February 1956. Her name was struck from the Navy List 1 July 1960, and she was disposed of by Navy sale in March 1961.
PC--1140 received one battle star for World War II service.