From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II p 448
Former name retained.
Free Lance (No. 830), a steam yacht, was built in 1895 by Lewis Nixon, Elizabethport, N.J. ; loaned to the Navy in May 1898; and commissioned 12 May 1898, Lieutenant C. C. Hannis in command.
Until 24 August 1898, when she was decommissioned, Free Lance patrolled off New York City. She was returned to her owner early in 1899. From 1905 on, her name was spelled Freelance. She was leased from her owner 19 July 1917 and recommissioned 5 September 1917, Ensign J. B. Nevins, USNRF, in command. After more service patrolling in the New York area, Freelance was decommissioned 24 December 1918, and returned to her owner the same day.