From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Tending toward a position in front.
(PY: dp. 719; l. 163'; b. 27'4"; dr. 14'2"; s. 9 k.; cpl. 49; a. 2 6-pdr.)
Forward was built in 1882 at Brooklyn, N.Y.; transferred from the Coast and Geodetic Survey, Commerce Department, 22 May 1918 as Patterson; and commissioned 20 June 1918, Captain T. A. Shanley, USCG, in command. She wee renamed Forward 15 August 1918.
From 3 July 1918 to 5 September, Forward conducted surveys and patrols in Alaskan waters, then returned to Puget Sound Navy Yard for repairs. Arriving at San Diego 24 October, Forward made surveys along the Mexican coast, then returned to Puget Sound Navy Yard 12 April 1919. There she was decommissioned 24 April 1919, and returned to the Coast and Geodetic Survey 24 May 1919.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)