From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. II p 17
Calumet is a peace pipe of the North American Indians ; it is also the name of several cities and towns in the United States.
The second Calumet (No. 723), an armed yacht, was built in 1903 by George Lawley and Sons, Neponset, Mass.; free leased by the Navy 9 September 1917 ; commissioned 7 December 1917, Ensign J. J. Phelps, USNRF, in command ; and reported to the 3d Naval District.
Calumet served as a harbor entrance patrol and guard vessel, protecting against possible surprise attacks from the sea. She also sailed in the antisubmarine screen of inshore convoys, as critical war supplies and material were shipped along the east coast. She was decommissioned at New York 11 January 1919 and returned to her owner.