From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Any of several small European thrushes noted for sweet nocturnal song.
(YMS-290: dp. 270; 1. 136'; b. 25'; dr. 8'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 26; a. 1 40mm., 4 20mm.; cl. YMS-1)
The fifth Nightingale was built by the Associated Shipbuilding Co., Seattle, Wash. As YMS-290; launched 27 February 1943; sponsored by Miss Suzanne Marion, granddaughter of A. F. Marion, General Manager of Lake Union Drydock and Machine Worker and commissioned 17 July 1943.
After shakedown and training in Puget Sound, she departed for the western Pacific via Pearl Harbor. Throughout World War II she operated exclusively in the Pacific. She participated in the Gilbert Island operations 13 November through 8 December, and continued minesweeping operations until the end of hostilities. Nightingale was then assigned to minesweeping activities in the Kobe Fukuoka area of Japan.
Returning from Japanese waters Nightingale reached Boston and was assigned to the 1st Naval District as a Naval Reserve Training ship. Effective 1 September 1947 her classification was changed from YMS-290 to AMS-50. She continued as a Naval Reserve training ship until March 1950, when she put in at Green Cove Springs, Fla. and decommissioned.
Nightingale recommissioned February 1951 and served with the Mine Force Atlantic Fleet. She operated out of Charleston S. C. providing service along the East Coast from Yorktown Va. to Panama City, Fla. Her home port was temporarily shifted to Panama City 1 January 1955 while she provided services for the Navy's Mine Defense Laboratory. She was redesignated MSC(O)-50 on 7 February and then returned to Charleston. She remained in an active status until 1 November 1959, when she decommissioned, was struck from the Navy List, and was sold for scrap.