Speed 13 k
Armament 2 20mm
The second Frigate Bird (AMS-191) was launched 24 October 1953 by Quincy Adams Yacht Yard, Inc. Quincy, Mass.; sponsored by Mrs. Matthew Cushing and commissioned 13 January 1955, Lieutenant (junior grade) G. B. Shick, Jr., in command. She was reclassified MSC-191 on 7 February 1955.
Joining Mine force, Atlantic Fleet, at Charleston, S.C., 21 February 1955 Frigate Bird began a program of east coast and Caribbean training and experimental operations which continued through 1960. Among her activities were amphibious exercises on the beaches near Camp Lejeune, N.C., surveying ocean currents testing a new type of can buoy, and taking part in fleet exercises of various types. From July 1958, she was homeported at Little Creek, Va., and served at frequent intervals with the Operational Development Force.