From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Matchless or without equal.
(AMc-93: dp. 200; l. 92'; b. 21'; dr. 9', 5. 10 k.; cpl. 17; cl. Acme)
The second Peerless was laid down 14 April 1941 by Delaware Bay Shipbuilding Co., Leesburg, N.J., launched 9 August 1941 and was placed in service 19 February 1942.
The new coastal minesweeper got underway 19 March and trained in Chesapeake Bay out of Yorktown, Va. She departed Hampton Roads 12 April for Charleston and left that port for Cuba on the 18th, with Larch (AN-21). Arriving Guantanamo Bay 23 April, Peerless operated in the Caribbean throughout World War II performing minesweeping and inshore patrol duties. The minesweeper was placed out of service and transferred to the War Department at Norfolk, Va., 18 March 1946. Peerless was struck from the List of District Craft 28 March 1946.