From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
One who frees or sets at liberty (a country) from domination by a foreign power.
(AMc-87: dp. 195; 1. 97'1"; b. 22'; dr. 9'; s. 10 k.; a. 2 .50 cal. mg., 2 .30 cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
The second Liberator (AMc-87) was laid down 5 May 1941 by F. L. Fulton Works, Antioch, Calif.; launched 6 September 1941; sponsored by Miss Fay Hill; and placed in service 22 February 1942, Lt. (jg.) James W. Dawnes in command.
Assigned to the 13th Naval District, Liberator operated out of Puget Sound until she sailed for Alaska in April 1944. She swept the Alaskan shipping lanes and returned to the 13th Naval District in September. Reclassified IX-202 on 20 December 1944, Liberator was used as a general utility ship until she was placed out of service 3 May 1945. She was turned over to WSA 2 July 1948 for disposal.