From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A small brightly colored bird of the lory or brush-tongued parrot family found in Australia and New Guinea.
(AMc-49: dp. 185; 1. 97'1"; b. 22'; dr. 8'6''; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .30 cal. mg; cl. Accentor)
The first Lorikeet was laid down by Greenport Basin & Construction Co., Greenport, Long Island, N.Y., 28 February 1941; launched 19 April; sponsored by Miss Mildred Howard and commissioned 8 August 1941, Ens. Lawrence G. FitzSommons in command.
Attached to the Inshore Patrol, Lorikeet was based at Staten Island for sweeping operations to keep vital New York Harbor free from the menace of enemy mines. In November 1944 she was- transferred to the 1st Naval District and swept the sealanes approaching Boston. As World W ar II cIosed, she arrived Charleston, S.C., 8 August 1945. Lorikeet decommissioned there 14 December, was struck from the Navy list 8 January 1946, and was turned over to the Maritime Commission. She was sold to Karl H. Anderson of Atlantic Beach, Fla., 31 July 1947 and was subsequently sold to Nassau Fertilizer & Oil Co., Inc., Fernandia, Fla.