From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A species of long-billed wading birds found in Florida, the West Indies, and Central America.
(AMc-48: dp. 186; 1. 97'1"; b. 22'0"; dr. 8'6"; a 10 k.; cpl. 17; a 2 .30 cal;. mg.; cl. Accenter)
The first Limpkin (AMc-48) was laid down 24 February 1941 by Greenport Basin & Construction Co., Long Island, N.Y.; launched 5 April 1941; sponsored by Miss Elsie Thornhill; and placed in service 8 August 1941.
Following shakedown off Yorktown, Va., the new coastal minesweeper reported to the 3d Naval District, New York City, 9 August. After the United States entered World War II, Limpkin and her sister-minesweepers assumed responsibility for keeping crucial New York Harbor clear. For 2 years the ship swept shipping channels that extended fingerlike from Manhattan to open water, permitting unprecedented amounts of war material to be shipped to the European theater to support the Allied war effort.
Transferred to the 5th Naval District 18 December 1843, Limpkin shifted homeport to Norfolk, Va. For the rest of the war, she operated at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, protecting the approaches to that vital center of Allied naval power.
Limpkin was placed out of service 15 April 1948 and struck from the Navy list 1 May 1946. She transferred to the Maritime Commission 13 January 1947. Late in the year she was sold to W. E. Lewis, Inc., of Fleeton, Va.; renamed Hiawatha; and placed in service as a trawler. She was subsequently renamed Blue Waters.