From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A bird of the genus Pruella, most notably the hedge sparrow.
(AMc-36: dp. 221; 1. 97'6''; b. 22'6"; dr. 8'11"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
The first Accentor (AMc-36) was laid down on 21 January 1941 by W. A. Robinson, Inc., Ipswich, Mass.; launched on 10 May 1941; sponsored by Mrs. W. A. Robinson, and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard on 24 July 1941, Lt. (jg.) Gordon Abbott in command.
Following outfitting there and shakedown training in nearby waters and off the Virginia capes the coastal minesweeper arrived at Portland, Maine, on 26 September and reported to the commanding officer of Mine Division 26 for duty in the inshore patrol. For almost one year-but for a month of availability at the Boston Navy Yard from 18 March to 17 April 1942 she performed her duties of streaming and sweeping for mines. During this time, the United States entered World War II on 7 December 1941.
In mid-August 1942, orders arrived directing Accentor to proceed via Boston to Annapolis, Md., for minesweeping tests in the Chesapeake Bay. She departed Portland on the 22d and reached the Naval Academy six days later. She was decommissioned there on 1 September and simultaneously placed in service. She spent the remainder of her naval career operating in the Chesapeake Bay region, for the most part under the auspices of the Naval Mine Warfare Proving Ground, Solomons Island, Md.
After World War II ended and most postwar minesweeping tasks had been completed, Accentor was placed out of service on 14 June 1946 and, a week later, declared surplus to the Navy needs. Struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946, she was transferred early in October 1946 to the Maritime Commission for disposal and sold to Higgins, Inc., of New Orleans La. She was delivered to that company at Lake Charles, La., on 9 October 1946.