From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Any of numerous shore-inhabiting birds that differ from the sandpipers in their short, hard tipped bill and usually stouter, more compact build.
(AMc-3: dp. 197,1. 85'6"; b. 22'6"; dr. 9'5''; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .30 cal. mg.; cl. Pipit)
The first Plover was originally built by Harbor Boat Building Co., Terminal Island, Long Beach, Calif. in 1936 as the wooden hull trawler Sea Rover. She was purchased on 16 October 1940 from Mr. John Rados, converted to a coastal minesweeper at Martinolich SB Co., San Pedro, Calif. and placed in service on 25 June 1941.
Based at San Pedro, Plover performed sweeping and patrol duties along the coast until placed out of service 17 September 1944. Struck from the Navy List on 14 October 1944, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 5 February 1945 and was returned to her former owner the same date.