From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A ringed plover; a North American shore and field bird (Charadius vociferus)
(AMC-21: dp. 275; 1. 105'7"; b. 22'10"; dr. 9'8"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 18; a. 1 .50 cal. mg.)
Killdeer (AMC-21) was originally built as a purse seiner in 1930 by Al Larson, Los Angeles with the name of Vindicator; rebuilt in 1940 by Harbor Boat Works, San Pedro, Calif.; acquired by the Navy from her owner, Mr. Martin Trutanich, 8 November 1940; and placed in service the same day as Killdeer.
From 9 November 1940 to 17 April 1941 she underwent conversion to AMC-21, and on 8 May 1941 she began service with the 12th Naval District. Operating out of San Francisco, Killdeer transferred to the Western Sea Frontier 1 August for further service as a channel minesweeping ship She continued sweeping shipping lanes in the approaches to San Francisco Bay until 12 September 1944 when she was placed out of service. Reclassified as IX-194 on 25 September, Killdeer was used by the 12th Naval District as a general utility vessel. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 2 June 1945, and she was turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal 9 January 1946.