From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A large vulture found in the high Andes.
The first Condor (AMc-14) was built at Tacoma, Wash., in 1937; acquired by the Navy 28 October 1940; and placed in service at San Diego 18 April 1941, Ensign M. H. Habbell, USNR, in command. She operated in the Hawaiian Islands throughout World War II. Placed out of service 17 January 1946, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 24 July 1946.