From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
A three-pronged spear, symbolic of authority, by Poseidon, sea god of the ancient Greeks.
(AMc-107: dp. 195 (est.); 1. 98'5"; b. 23'6"; dr. 10'8"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
Trident (AMc-107) was laid down on 25 April 1941 at Rockland, Maine, by Snow Shipyards; launched on 8 October 1941; and placed in service at Boston on 18 February 1942, Ens. Edmond J. Massello, USNR, Officer in Charge.
Following a training period at the Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Trident reported to Section Base Boston, for duty with the 1st Naval District. During the first week in March 1942, the wooden-hulled coastal minesweeper plied the waters of Boston harbor and its approaches, performing tasks which would soon become familiar. At night, she functioned as a guard and escort vessel; then, as sunrise came, she began daily exploratory sweeps, searching for moored, magnetic, and sonic mines in the harbor and its approaches. At times, severe weather or low visibility forced Trident to secure from sweep operations; and, in foggy weather, she helped to regulate harbor traffic.
Continuing instruction, drills, and periods of repair broke the minesweeper's routine. After Trident was assigned to the harbor entrance control post, she had occasion to locate and investigate suspicious small craft-a welcome diversion from the usual inner harbor activities.
In June 1942, the 1st Naval District command was incorporated into the Northern Group of the Eastern Sea Frontier, and Trident continued her duties in coastal waters for over three years until 8 August 1945, when she arrived at Charleston and reported to the Commandant, 6th Naval District, for disposition. She was placed out of service on 16 November 1945 and her name was struck from the Navy list on the 28th. On 22 October 1946, Trident was transferred to the Maritime Commission; and she was subsequently sold to Benjamin Feldman of New York City.