From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Firm or steadfast.
AM - 86: dp. 275 l. 173'8" b. 23' dr. 7'7" s. 18 k. a. 1 x 3" cl. Adroit
The first Constant (AM-86) was launched 9 May 1942 by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; and commissioned 21 September 1942, Lieutenant R. C. Gloss, USNR, in command.
From 20 December 1942 to 4 March 1943 Constant escorted convoys between San Francisco and Pearl Harbor. She sailed from Pearl Harbor 8 March for Espiritu Santo, arriving 25 March for local escort duty, operating from Espiritu Santo and Noumea in support of the Guadalcanal operation. On 3 September 1943 she arrived at Tulagi and remained in the Solomons on interisland escort and minesweeping duty with occasional convoy voyages to Noumea and Espiritu Santo until 3 April 1944 when she steamed to Auckland, New Zealand, for a brief overhaul. She returned to Port Purvis in the Solomons 13 May. On 1 June 1944 her name was canceled and she was reclassified PC-1590. She continued her service at Espiritu Santo, Noumea, Samoa and Tongatabu until 6 May 1946 when she returned to Pearl Harbor, where she was decommissioned 19 June 1946.
Assigned to the 14th Naval District for Naval Reserve training 28 October 1946, PC 1590 was placed in commission in reserve 5 May 1950, and in full commission from 20 March 1951 until decommissioned 22 October 1954. She was sunk as a target.