From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
A large, short-winged hawk noted for its powerful flight, activity, and courage.
(AM - 79: dp. 585; l. 150'; b. 25'; dr. 10'3"; s. 10 k.; a. 1 3")
Goshawk, formerly Penobscot, was built by the Foundation Co., Savannah, Ga., 1919, and purchased by the Navy from W. F. Henningsen of Seattle, Wash., 3 September 1940. She was converted to a minesweeper by Winslow Marine, Winslow, Wash., and commissioned at Seattle, Wash., 3 March 1941, Lt. (j.g.) Allan Dwight Curtis in command. Her designation was changed to AM-79 from AMc-4 on 25 November 1940.
After shakedown, Goshawk took up minesweeping duties in Puget Sound and the San Juan de Fuca Straits, operating out of Seattle. She sailed for Alaska 6 October 1941 and swept the channels between Sitka, Ketchikan, Adak, Seward, and Kodiak Island until 30 March 1942, when she returned to Seattle for extensive refitting.
Goshawk resumed duty 18 August in the Seattle and Puget Sound area and in late 1943 returned to Alaska as a combination minesweeper and small cargo vessel. Her classification was officially changed to IX-195, 10 October 1944. Goshawk returned to Seattle 9 June 1945 and decommissioned there 1 August, but continued to perform in an "in service" status, transporting condemned ammunition for the 13th Naval District. Her name was stricken from the Navy List 3 January 1946 and she was transferred to Maritime [Commission] for disposal 7 May 1946. Goshawk was subsequently sold to Alvin T. Davies of Tacoma, Wash. and renamed Bering Sea.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (email@example.com)