From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Ruling or controlling.
(AM - 431: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40 mm.; cl. Agile) The second Dominant (AM-431) was launched 5 November 1953 by C. Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Kingston, N.Y.; sponsored by Mrs. B. S. Hiltebrant; and commissioned 8 November 1954, Lieutenant S. F. McMurray in command. After extensive training at Key West, Fla., Dominant reported to her home port, Charleston, S.C., 16 April 1956 for duty with Mine Force, Atlantic. She alternated operations from her home port with services for the Mine Defense Laboratory in Panama City, Fla. In 1956 and 1957 she cruised to the Mediterranean for duty with the 6th Fleet, joining in minesweeping exercises with ships of other NATO navies, and in 1958 she carried Commander, Mine Division 43 to the Baltic Sea for similar exercises. From March 1959 her home port was Little Creek, Va., and the next month Dominant sailed for duty in the Mediterranean once more. She returned in August for test operations and amphibious exercises through 1962.Transcribed by Yves HUBERT (firstname.lastname@example.org)