From: Dictionary of American Fighting Ships
Energy in style or action; animation.
(AM - 428: dp. 620; l. 172'; b. 36'; dr. 10'; s. 15 k.; cpl. 74; a. 1 40mm; cl. Agile)
The second Dash (AM-428) was launched 20 September 1952 by Astoria Marine Construction Co., Astoria, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. D. McKay; and commissioned 14 August 1953, Lieutenant Commander R. Giamotti in command. She was reclassified MSO-428, 7 February 1955.
Sailing from San Diego 12 June 1954 Dash arrived at Charleston, S.C., 6 July. She sailed out of Charleston on local duty and for refresher training at Key West, until 4 January 1956 when she got underway with her division for a tour of duty in the Mediterranean with the 6th Fleet. She returned to Charleston 11 June.
Dash served in the Mediterranean again between 1 May and 2 October 1957 and between 27 April and 27August 1959. Through 1962, she operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean in amphibious and mine warfare exercises.
Transcribed by Yves HUBERT