From: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Any hawk of genus Circus feeding on small animals and insects.
(AM-366: dp. 530; 1. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9''; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)
Harrier (AM-366) was launched 7 June 1944 by the Willamette Iron & Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; sponsored by Mrs. William A. Kettlewell; and commissioned 31 October 1945, Lt. R. N. Compton in command.
After shakedown and exercises along the Oregon coast, Harrier put into San Diego 5 January 1946. She decommissioned there 28 March 1946 and was placed in reserve. Harrier's name was stricken from the Navy List 1 December 1959 and her disposal approved 3 October 1960. [Transcriber's Note: Transferred to Maritime Commission custody, she was sold in 1964 for commercial use as Sea Scope.]